Current time: 09-26-2017, 01:35 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tinnitus and Diabetes
09-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Tinnitus and Diabetes
Hello All,
Does anyone know if the VA has approved diabetes as a cause of tinnitus? I get a slight (10%) disability for diabetes associated with AO. But what really bothers me is my tinnitus-some times it's almost unbearable. I called the VA about a year ago and asked if I could get a benefit from tinnitus. The VA rep asked me if I had been near any loud guns in Viet Nam. I told him "No" because I was on a troop ship with only 5" guns that were rarely fired. He said I wouldn't qualify for any hearing related problems because I wasn't exposed to any "loud noises", so I never put in a claim. I was talking recently to a friend who has tinnitus and his doctor told him his tinnitus could be a side affect of diabetes. Does anyone receive a tinnitus benefit caused by diabetes rather than exposure to "loud noises."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2017, 01:20 PM
RE: Tinnitus and Diabetes
You will have fight on your hands with the VA. Can Diabetes be a cause of Tinnitus? Yes and no. There are two schools of thought on it. You will definitely need a doctor's certification that your Diabetes caused you Tinnitus. After you have that it's going to be all uphill.
http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/t...abetes.htm

People who fear death never live.
09-11-2017, 10:35 PM
If you were exposed to a 5" gun firing even only once, you could have tinnitus. "Being exposed" to a 5" gun blast would only require you being on deck.... the closer to the gun the better. You will need to remember back to where you were when a 5" gun fired, the closer the better and the more times the better IF it caused you tinnitus back then and it has only gotten worse as you grew older.

-JR

Rossie
A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2017, 09:12 AM
John,
Thanks for your supportive reply. I honestly don't believe my tinnitus was caused by loud noise exposure. I was never "on deck" when the 5" gun was fired. I had a GQ station below the gun and it only caused a low "booming" sound down there - much less than some rock concerts I attended in the 70's. Also my tinnitus really wasn't noticeable until the early 2000's when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. In good conscious I really couldn't apply for a benefit to an exposure I really didn't experience. Maybe in the future the VA might acknowledge between diabetes and tinnitus. Joe Holtslag
09-16-2017, 06:11 PM
If you have hearing loss with your tinnitus, the hearing loss can be attributed to diabetes--because of the tiny blood vessels in the ear that can be affected by high blood sugar. I filed for hearing loss as a secondary condition to DM with supporting articles. The C&P examiner did not refute my loss as a DM secondary, but gave a hearing loss connection to naval gunfire. I was stationed topside during GQ so I was exposed. I applaud your honesty in a claim because that's the right thing to do. Perhaps a private--if not--VA physician will make the DM connection for you. The VA also accepts DBQ's completed by private doctors as evidence in claims.
09-16-2017, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 07:57 PM by jholtslag.)
Thanks for your reply. I probably have some degree of hearing loss, but it might just be age related (75). I don't wear hearing aids for TV or even interpersonal communication and if I do have any loss, but it's not noticeable to me. But I will keep your suggestion in mind going forward. I found your comment about DBQs being completed by private doctors interesting. Over the past year I have had two DBQs completed by two leading medical oncologists (from two different Cancer Centers) who have determined my AO-related prostate cancer, which has been in remission for 5 years, is no longer in remission and at this point is now incurable. The VA however currently still maintains I am in remission and claims I have no disability related to it. I recently got a VSO involved in my case so we have appealed a third time. Time will tell, but based on my experience with the VA, I don't have much hope. I think the VA would rather pay me 10% for DM than pay 100% for AO related prostate cancer. I suspect I'll need to be under hospice care in the future before they reconsider their position.
09-17-2017, 01:56 PM
The reason I mentioned the DBQ's from private physicians being considered evidence is because I have bilateral loss of foot due to DM P/N. I went to a private Neurologist who did all of the sensory and related test and completed a DBQ that I took with me, and he confirmed the paralysis. Thus when I went for my C&P, I showed the DBQ to the examiner, and he confirmed what the Neurologist had written. As a result, I received 100% for loss of feet as well as eligibility for an adaptive house and automobile. I also give extensive credit to our God Almighty who answers prayer. On the DM note I have had my rating increased from 20% to 40%--which may also be an option for you. God Bless.