Current time: 09-26-2017, 01:36 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Back C & P questions
08-27-2017, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 05:53 PM by TomL.)
Back C & P questions
I was a victim of a hit and run in 1963. Both my legs were temporary paralyzed. I was knocked stupid. I was taken ton NAS Cecil Field. I was still paralyzed up on rival at Cecil Field Hospital. The records state I was dazed but was not stresses out. Ha. Corpsman. They took x rays and found nothing. They checked a lot of stuff. Nothing. Numbness finally left about an hour later and I was released. Light duty I believe.

I have had issues for many years now.

I have ruptured discs slipped discs, pinched nerves etc. from a recent VA mri.

My C and P has been farmed out to Veterans Evaluation Services (VES) and will be performed by a Local Doctor or Traveling Doctor I believe. I believe the dr will fill out some type sheets (DBQ)and mail them back to the VA. I really don't understand this process. First time using this process.

My question is who determines if this is a service connected disability? My only record is my service medical record. No follow ups. I have personal records of back issues that only go back 10-15 years. Everybody else that was aware of this injury has passed.

I was a telecommunications engineer for years and finished my career teaching post secondary. No heavy duty work except brain.

I hope that I make sense. Sometimes I struggle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2017, 05:53 AM
RE: Back C & P questions
"Veterans Evaluation Services (VES) and will be performed by a Local Doctor", they will evaluate you for the extent of your injuries and make a recommendation as to whether it is service connected or not. The VA will make the final decision. Good luck.

People who fear death never live.
08-29-2017, 12:52 PM
I expect this C & P to be blown off as old age.

The VA found this trouble when testing for Nephropathy. They finally decided to do an MRI after trying to feed me pain pills. VA farmed me out. Chronic polynephropathy was diagnosed by a Choice appointment. The back problem was a secondays discovery, but I had complained about it previously.

I am old and the VA knows this to a good out for them since I didn't return for follow ups during service. However, we all know how we were often accused of malingering if we weren't at least bleeding during that era.
08-30-2017, 11:03 AM
(08-29-2017 12:52 PM)TomL Wrote:  I expect this C & P to be blown off as old age.

It all depends on how much you are willing to fight. You may not win, but will you fight for what you consider a service connected disability? It takes commitment and a lot of work to win a claim.

People who fear death never live.
08-31-2017, 02:59 PM
I got a late start on VA claims. I didn't know I was eligible for lots of stuff. In 1993, a local VSO said I wasn't eligible. WW2 Navy Commander. I guess I should have not mentioned Vietnam to him. Of course I took him at his word about eligibility.

Yep. I will follow thru if I am still kicking. I have already been in front of a federal judge once and am still waiting for a decision after 6 years. I know what to expect. Over 75 don't get you to front of the line as so advertised. There are some real A-holes in the C&P exams process. I bite my tongue.

I am also awaiting my AO claim. Hope I live long enough to follow thru on this claim.
09-06-2017, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 08:03 PM by TomL.)
C&P update.

This was a very informal meeting. This was the first C&P where I was actually relaxed. The good Doctor was attentive to my input. I was there for a back injury and of course poly nephropathy appeared or should I say became apparent to him. He actually asked me if I served in Vietnam. I told him I was there off the coast aboard a ship. I also told him the VA says we sailors don't deserve benefits since we were not on solid soil. I told him ships did not come equipped with 4 wheel drive. He got a chuckle and seemed truly surprised at my statements about Blue Water Sailors. Of course, I realize he is just a rent a doctor who fills out "fill in the blanks" paperwork and sure looks like the paperworks do not favor me.

All in all, I have been blessed with a good life and a good wife.

God bless all sailors.

Tom
09-07-2017, 03:37 PM
(09-06-2017 08:02 PM)TomL Wrote:  C&P update.

This was a very informal meeting. This was the first C&P where I was actually relaxed. The good Doctor was attentive to my input. I was there for a back injury and of course poly nephropathy appeared or should I say became apparent to him. He actually asked me if I served in Vietnam. I told him I was there off the coast aboard a ship. I also told him the VA says we sailors don't deserve benefits since we were not on solid soil. I told him ships did not come equipped with 4 wheel drive. He got a chuckle and seemed truly surprised at my statements about Blue Water Sailors. Of course, I realize he is just a rent a doctor who fills out "fill in the blanks" paperwork and sure looks like the paperworks do not favor me.

All in all, I have been blessed with a good life and a good wife.

God bless all sailors.

Tom

Happy wife, happy life! Good luck, Tom.

James A. Smith
USS Butte (AE-27) 72-73
USNA Class of 1972
09-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Tom,
One key question is: Do you feel that the medical exam was sufficient to come to a conclusion about your back? Did the doctor check you over well enough that ne would get a good idea about what might be wrong with your back and/or whatever else you were at the C&P for?
If you don’t feel like he did all the right tests to verify what you told him about what hurt and where, then you may have had an incomplete exam. That is something that can be challenged. But something like that is stronger if you have an independent medical exam of your own doctor, done by filling out the same DBQ that this doctor used. You can find it on line.
-JR

Rossie
A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user