Current time: 04-28-2017, 03:47 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: The Presence of Agent Orange aboard ships.
I would be willing to sign a sworn and notarized statement that I personally saw and/or had contact with Agent Orange on my ship between the 1962 - 1975 time frame
I cannot make such a statement
[Show Results]

Agent Orange Aboard Ships
02-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Re: Agent Orange Aboard Ships
I served on the U.S.S.Oriskany(CVA-34) from 6-71 to 2-75, did three WestPac cruises on her. On the WestPac tour of 72-73,a so called rash appear on my body. I still have the rash today it has never went away. It is looks like a blackhead but it is not at all like it. The VA diagnosed it as a Severe Acneform Dermatitis. Two years ago the VA diagnosed me with Type 2 Diabetes.I went to VSO to file a claim, he told that he would not put in a claim because I the Boots On Ground and I served off the coast. I need help anybody can give as the meds the VA has meon doe not agree with me.

James Sobotta
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Re: Agent Orange Aboard Ships
James,
I don't know where you are, relative to how much choice you've got, but don't give up on the VSO route. Try the County VSO... talk to others. I'll bet American Legion has a post near you. Ask them if they know anything about this Blue Water Navy thing and/or are they willing to learn. Their help can make all the difference in the world. You have a 40%+ chance of claim award using a VSO than not.
None of them know everything, and a few of them know nothing. Ask around. Additionally, you'll learn a lot from this group that will give you the confidence to take a stab at it yourself.
Welcome Aboard,

-Rossie

Rossie
A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2017, 12:39 AM
RE: Agent Orange Aboard Ships
Since the end of the Vietnam War, veterans have reported numerous health effects. Herbicides used in Vietnam, in particular Agent Orange, that contained the highly toxic chemical 2,3,7,8-tetrachloro-dibenzo-p-dioxin (also referred to as TCDD), have been associated with a variety of cancers and other long-term health effects. The Agent Orange Act of 1991 established a presumption of herbicide exposure for veterans who served in Vietnam and who developed one or more of the diseases associated with Agent Orange exposure. Such a presumption is necessary for a Vietnam veteran to receive disability compensation if he or she has an Agent Orange-associated disease. On the basis of the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM’s) Veterans and Agent Orange (VAO) reports and other information, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has recognized the following 14 health effects as being associated with Agent Orange and other herbicide exposure: acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy, multiple myeloma, AL amyloidosis, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), chloracne, Parkinson’s disease, chronic B-cell leukemias, porphyria cutanea tarda, diabetes mellitus (type 2), prostate cancer, Hodgkin’s disease, respiratory cancers, ischemic heart disease, and soft-tissue sarcoma.

Before 1997, Vietnam veterans were eligible for a presumption of exposure if “during active military, naval, or air service, they had served in the Republic of Vietnam” unless there was evidence that they had not been exposed to Agent Orange. That broad policy was later narrowed so that service on the ground in Vietnam (ground troops) or on its inland waterways (Brown Water Navy) was required to receive a presumption of exposure. The VA further stipulated that “mere service on a deepwater naval vessel in waters off shore of the Republic of Vietnam is not qualifying service in Vietnam.” Those who served aboard deep-water naval vessels are the Blue Water Navy. Although that interpretation was challenged by Blue Water Navy veterans, the VA position was upheld in the 2008 case of Haas v. Peake and stands today. Since 2008, the VA has, case by case, recognized numerous Blue Water Navy ships as having entered the inland waterways of Vietnam or having docked in Vietnam at specific times and locations. Navy personnel who served aboard those blue-water ships during the specific times when their ships were in inland waters or docked are now eligible for the presumption of service connection for Agent Orange–associated diseases.

Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans along with other Vietnam veterans have become concerned about their potential exposure to the TCDD contaminant present in Agent Orange. Recent publications, such as that of an Australian study of potential TCDD enrichment of potable water aboard Royal Australian Navy ships as a result of the water-distillation process, have prompted additional concerns regarding exposure of Blue Water Navy veterans to TCDD.

Waste heat recovery power plant Consultants
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user