Current time: 05-24-2017, 03:30 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Diabetes and Hearing Loss
11-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Diabetes and Hearing Loss
Everyone should consider this a compensable secondary issue of Diabetes Melitus

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN1629175420080616">http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNe ... 5420080616</a><!-- m -->

Hearing loss seen as common diabetes complication
Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:08pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hearing loss may be an under-recognized complication of diabetes, according to U.S. researchers, who found hearing loss to be roughly twice as common in people who have the disease as those who do not.

Writing on Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine, the researchers said hearing tests given to a nationally representative sample of U.S. adults revealed higher rates of hearing loss among adult diabetics.

The researchers analyzed data from 5,140 adults aged 20 to 69 who were given hearing tests.

Low- or mid-frequency hearing impairment of mild or greater severity was detected in 21 percent of the 399 people with diabetes and 9 percent of the 4,741 who did not have it.

High-frequency hearing impairment of mild or greater severity was present in 54 percent of those with diabetes compared to 32 percent of those without it, the study found.

The differences in hearing between diabetics and non-diabetics occurred among both men and women and in all racial and ethnic groups, education levels and income levels, the researchers said.

Diabetes may cause hearing loss by damaging the nerves and blood vessels of the inner ear, according to the researchers.

The researchers noted that the link between diabetes and hearing loss has been debated since at least the 1960s.

"Hearing loss may be an under-recognized complication of diabetes. As diabetes becomes more common, the disease may become a more significant contributor to hearing loss," researcher Catherine Cowie of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, said in a statement.

The researchers said the study identifies an important public health problem that can be addressed. "With the high prevalence of hearing impairment among diabetic patients, screening for this condition may be justified," they wrote.

Diabetes is a disease marked by high levels of sugar in the blood. In the two types of diabetes -- one that typically begins in childhood and the other more common form that is closely tied to obesity and a sedentary lifestyle -- the excess sugar in the blood damages organs including the eyes, kidneys and heart.

Recent research has identified other complications of diabetes. Last month, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said people with diabetes are twice as likely to have arthritis.

Diabetes is becoming more common in the United States and other countries as obesity rates increase.

(Reporting by Will Dunham)

Rossie
A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Re: Diabetes and Hearing Loss
Just received 10% on tinnitis, service connected on hearing loss 0%, said it was due to flight line duty. I was sent to an hearing clinic said I had hearing loss in both ears. Va gave me hearing aids for both ears, after going for an C&P said my hearing was worse than than when I was sent to the hearing clinic. Have type 2, they said it was not from any dieases. Had to appeal the 0% on my hearing. Why do they do this give you hearing aids in both ears and they say you are 0%.

Butch/old goat
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Carl got a 0% disability for hearing when he got out of the service in 1968... and still has problems hearing. He had a recent exam and has applied for tininitus. We 'll see how long this gets prolonged.

Marcella "Marcie" Messer
Proud Daughter, Wife and Mother of USNAVY MEN
01-28-2009, 01:34 AM
I have been receiving benefits for tinnitus and hearing loss for several years now. 10% is the max for tinnitus that the VA grants. I also get 10% hearing loss for both ears and provided hearing aids. The problem that I have is that my word recognition or speech recognition is down to 80% in both ears. I requested a review in Sept 06 and I am still waiting. Finally had a C&P exam in Nov 08. VSO says my hearing loss should be granted at the 30% level. We'll see. The best thing to do is to get and evaluation from a local hearing center and have a ENT exam by a outside MD and have him write a letter that your tinnitus and hearing loss is from your exposure to loud Jet Noise, 400 cycle noise and standard aircraft carrier hi noise levels 24/7. That will get the VA in line right away.

You may have to finally after getting turned down, by filing a letter of disagreement and go thru the process. Don't file another claim like I did for my Diabetes and related ailments for AO exposure as they now lump all claims together and try to settle all at once. Good Luck and keep in there fighting. I have provided proof of Boots on Ground several times if I can get someone to read it. I was on Yankee station and was granted Emergency Leave for my brothers death. I flew off the ship to DaNang and then on to Hawaii and Travis on a C141. I guess the VA thinks that I just sailed over to Hinan Island and took a ship home.

Oh and by the way Diabetes can also cause hearing loss in both ears just like the neuropathy, Hyertension, irregular heart beat etc.
08-21-2015, 09:00 AM
RE: Diabetes and Hearing Loss
Diabetes is a serious health illness and it should be treated on time after getting detected. One should pay full attention when it comes to treat diabetes. There are two types of diabetes. Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes basically found in children while Type 2 Diabetes mostly found in adult people who are above the age of 40.
08-23-2015, 05:15 PM
I filed a claim for bilateral hearing loss as secondary to DM2 after reading similar articles that JR referred to on the relationship between diabetes and hearing loss. The claim was denied. I appealed thru the DRO process. Instead of being granted SC hearing loss as secondary to my DM, I was granted SC hearing loss due to exposure to naval gunfire. I received 20% for each ear. The C&P examiner questioned me about my exposure to loud noises during service, and I reported that I was often topside during gunfire support because of my lifeboat and other duties related to an auxiliary machinist mate.
11-12-2015, 04:47 PM
What do the stars mean under a person's screen name? How does a person with 1 post get 2 stars under their name?

James A. Smith
USS Butte (AE-27) 72-73
USNA Class of 1972
11-23-2015, 02:45 PM
All the rating, reputation, stars, etc. are done automatically by the discussion board software. I have just left everything at default and none of that stuff is controlled or awarded by any of us.

I guess if you can hack in, you might also be able to control some of that (?)

-JR

Rossie
A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
11-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks. I've just never seen a legend that describes what they mean.

James A. Smith
USS Butte (AE-27) 72-73
USNA Class of 1972
12-24-2016, 10:05 AM
I was onboard a aircraft carrier for 4 years. I was awarded 10% for tinnitus but was denied hearing loss and presumed agent orange exposure
12-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Randy,
VA uses a pretty straight-forward formula for determining hearing loss. One thing to do is never depend on VA audiology tests without getting an independent assessment. You should talk with a VSO about the results. The County Gov't probably has a Veteran Service Office that can help you.
Obviously, exposure while at sea is pretty much impossible to get under normal circumstances.... that's why we're all gathered here : - ) But if you happened to get to the ground by flying either on or off the carrier during your tour, we might have some suggestions.

-JR

Rossie
12-27-2016, 02:06 PM
I was awarded service connected hearing loss due to exposure to naval gunfire during support missions. That may be a route that others can take. I had lifeboat duties during GQ, thus was topside during a lot of the missions.
12-29-2016, 06:39 PM
(12-27-2016 02:06 PM)freeman44jm Wrote:  I was awarded service connected hearing loss due to exposure to naval gunfire during support missions. That may be a route that others can take. I had lifeboat duties during GQ, thus was topside during a lot of the missions.

One of VA's infamous moves for hearing loss is to say that there is nothing in your record indicating you were subjected to gunfire noise. It's pretty obvious they weren't in the navy. But definitely tell that that your GQ station was our on the open deck. I know several RMs who are still fighting that because VA seems to think the Radio Room was a sound-proof area that couldn't even feel the percussion of rounds going off. And that's just one example of how you will need to 'straighten them out' if you file a claim for gunfire noise.

-JR

Rossie